Student interview: Lisa Davis
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself
My name is Lisa Davis. I am a Jamaican and a creative at heart. As far back as I can remember I have always been doing some form of art. I enjoy playing several musical instruments, singing, drawing, painting, sewing, crocheting, knitting, etc. I currently operate my own craft company - The Craft Ppl - and enjoy expressing myself through my various crafts there. I am also a wife and mother.
2. Why did you decide to learn graphic design?
I decided to learn graphic design to enhance my skill set and to improve my creativity.
3. What is the most important thing you have learned so far about graphic design?
Graphic design is not only about making posters or logos but about communicating, in general, graphically. In whatever form that may take, with or without images.
4. If you could design something for a famous person who would that be and why?
Khloe Kardashian because I admire her style and personality.
5. Which design era do you find the most interesting?
The era of the printing press/ the Renaissance. I thought it was most ingenious how the press was invented and in turn revolutionized the world.
6. Tell us about one logo that you think is just excellent work
The Apple logo and the Nike logo. They are both extremely simple and unrelated to the companies they represent yet absolutely known around the world without fail.
7. Tell us about your experience studying at Masters Design Lab, is there anything that surprised you?
I didn’t know what to expect, to be honest. I thought it would have been a lot of basics and recorded lessons like many other online programs. I’m very appreciative of the live sessions. There is a wealth of knowledge in every course and they all go in-depth. I feel as if I’m actually doing another Bachelor’s degree. The teachers are very experienced and clearly work in the industry and not just teach theory from books. The program is very hands-on and the foundation that it builds upon is very solid. I am enjoying the program so far and I’m surprised at how much my overall design aesthetic has already begun to change and improve as a result.
8. What is your favorite font, color, and shape
Currently, my favorite font is Avenir. Favorite color is pink/purple depending on the day and my favorite shape is the rounded rectangle :).
9. What is your playlist while working on your design projects?
I enjoy listening to H.E.R., Peter Sanberg, Chronixx, or nothing at all while working on my projects. I like to focus on my projects without much distraction.